MEMORANDUM: July Agenda
TO: House Republicans
FROM: Kevin McCarthy
DATE: July 1, 2015
SUBJECT: July Agenda
“Let the annual return of this day forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them.”
– Thomas Jefferson
First, Happy Fourth of July. I will keep this message short, as I am sure you are all spending some well-deserved time with family and friends.
Each year, I am inspired by the patriotism I see on Independence Day. In backyards and parks across the country, the stars and stripes fly a bit higher. In the crackle of fireworks and the commotion of town parades, freedom rings a bit louder. And more than any other day, everyone feels even prouder to be an American on the Fourth.
This time of year, we also remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice so that we might enjoy these liberties. We extend our prayers and our gratitude to the courageous men and women currently serving in the armed forces and their families. There is no doubt that we live in the land of the free because of the brave.
As we celebrate the birth of our nation, let us recommit ourselves to the ideals on which this country was founded. We remember that our patriotism is based not on shared bloodlines or undeserved pride, but firmly rooted in the values of liberty, justice, and equal opportunity for all. It is now our responsibility to carry forth these principles. May we continue to work together towards achieving the highest aspirations of those who first envisioned this great American experiment.
So that you may start preparing for the month ahead, below is the list of items the House is expected to consider in July. Note that additional items may be added. Exact timing for consideration will be relayed to you as soon as possible.
- Resume consideration of H.R. 2822, the Fiscal Year 2016 Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act (Calvert)
- Resume consideration of H.R. 5, the Student Success Act (Kline)
- H.R. 2647, the Resilient Federal Forests Act (Westerman)
- H.R. 6, the 21st Century Cures Act (Upton)
- H.R. ____, the Fiscal Year 2016 Financial Services and General Government Appropriations Act (Crenshaw)
- H.R. 2898, Western Water and American Food Security Act (Valadao)
- H.R. 9, the Innovation Act (Goodlatte)
- H.R. 427, the Regulations From the Executive in Need of Scrutiny / REINS Act (T. Young)
- Legislation to extend authorities of the Highway Trust Fund
- Legislation related to the Architecture of Abundance energy plan being developed by the Energy & Commerce Committee
- Conference Report on H.R. 1735, the Fiscal Year 2016 National Defense Authorization Act (Thornberry)
- Conference Report on H.R. 644, the Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act (Reed)