The videos of Planned Parenthood employees detailing and engaging in gruesome abortion practices are profoundly disturbing, and no person can escape being sickened by what Planned Parenthood is doing and the callousness of how they do it. The White House may not want to look at the problem in the face, but the rest of America knows that as good and decent people, we can’t turn a blind eye to Planned Parenthood’s abortion industry.
When these videos first came out, the House immediately started investigating Planned Parenthood. And over the course of over a month, we have demanded answers to determine whether abortion providers are profiting from selling fetal body parts and organs, whether abortion providers change procedures in order to maximize their harvesting of body parts, and if there are any other violations of federal law or ways Congress can respond to these horrifying practices.
We need to get all the facts about Planned Parenthood so that the American people know exactly what is going on. Once we’ve gotten to the bottom of Planned Parenthood’s abortion business, we can work to stop any illegal selling of fetal body parts and make sure no taxpayer is ever forced to give their money to fund these repulsive practices.
This is what the House has done so far.
- The Energy and Commerce Committee sent a letter to the President of Planned Parenthood, Cecile Richards, to request a briefing with Dr. Deborah Nucatola, the Senior Director of Medical Services from the first video. Dr. Reagan McDonald-Mosley, the Chief Medical Officer of Planned Parenthood, has given a briefing to the committee.
- The House Judiciary Committee demanded that Attorney General Loretta Lynch investigate potential violations of the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act by Planned Parenthood and detail to Congress exactly how laws barring the sale of human organs and fetal tissue have or have not been enforced.
- The Education and Workforce Committee heard testimony by Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Sylvia Burwell on the videos.
- The Energy and Commerce Committee sent letters to Planned Parenthood and several research companies requesting information on their practices regarding fetal tissue collection, sale, and donation.
- The House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform sent letters to HHS and Planned Parenthood seeking more information on the money that Planned Parenthood receives from taxpayers and the services Planned Parenthood provides.
We will continue our investigation, and we will not rest until we know the whole truth about exactly what Planned Parenthood is doing as they harvest organs. Life is sacred, and as a good and loving society we cannot accept this callous disregard for life. We must and we will stand up for the weakest among us, especially those who can’t stand up for themselves.