The Office of U.S. Representative Pramila Jayapal (WA-07) seeks an experienced, creative and highly motivated Communications Director to lead media and outreach efforts in her Washington, D.C. and Seattle, WA offices.
An ideal candidate will:
- Work collaboratively with the Congresswoman and her senior leadership team;
- Possess strong written and oral communications skills and the ability to work effectively in a fast-paced setting under tight deadlines;
- Understand the digital media landscape and current digital trends, with experience overseeing a digital/social media program;
- Think strategically and creatively;
- Have a strong record of advocating for progressive values;
- Be willing to work weekends and irregular hours.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Serve as the primary spokesperson for the Congresswoman;
- Develop strong relationships with local and national reporters, editors, producers, bookers, and social media influencers;
- Proactively engage in media outreach, including pitching and fielding press inquiries;
- Manage the development of press releases, speeches and op-eds;
- Oversee a robust and aggressive online communications program;
- Supervise a Press Secretary and Digital Specialist;
- Prepare and staff the Congresswoman for district press events and media interviews; and
- Work collaboratively with the District Office to ensure a strong local/state media presence.
This is a very senior level position, and a minimum of two years of communications experience as a press secretary or communications director is required. Women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, new Americans, people with disabilities, and members of other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply. State and/or district ties are a plus.
Qualified candidates should include in their application: resume, cover letter, three writing samples (including one speech) and three references.
Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications Director” in the subject line. No calls or drop-ins please.