The Communications Director is a key member of the management team that includes the Chief of Staff, Legislative Director, and the District Director.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Successful candidates will have superb written and verbal communication skills, be comfortable multi-tasking, have excellent attention to detail, and work well under pressure.
- Primary responsibilities include (but not limited to) managing press releases, speeches, op-eds, and letters to the editor, and other written material for the Member, managing an active social media presence, managing e-newsletters, and graphic design.
- The Communications Director will work closely with the Press Assistant and other press team members to finalize press/communication products and strategy.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, public relations, or related field;
- Strong academic credentials are preferred;
- Two years of journalism, communications, and/ or public relations experience;
- Understanding of legislative process and of the nuances between broad messaging and individual member needs; and
- Must have had primary responsibility for creating and executing a media strategy or public relations plan - preferably in public policy arena.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- Communicate clearly and concisely to a variety of audience;
- Work effectively with a diverse group of elected officials, staff, journalists, stakeholders and other constituents;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of new media and be able to coordinate multi-media message delivery;
- Shape diverse political views into a coherent overall message;
- Demonstrate a sense of humor;
- Create a positive, supportive work environment; and
- Make decisions in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines.
- Candidate must be available nights and weekends as situations require;
- Noise levels are usually moderate; and
- Ability to work in a small work station without an expectation of privacy.
E-mail a cover letter, detailed resume, and the name, address, and phone number of three references to NC12.COS@mail.house.gov .
APPLICATION DEADLINE: October 14, 2019
THIS OFFICE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply. The office is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, disability, military status, age, marital status, or parental status.