Summary: The House Veterans’ Affairs Committee Majority staff seeks a Subcommittee Staff Director for the Economic Opportunity (EO) Subcommittee. The EO Subcommittee Staff Director will be responsible for managing all issues and activities within the Subcommittee, which includes advising on policy, producing and shepherding legislation to passage, and oversight of relevant Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) programs.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter with a proficient and nuanced understanding of the dynamics of both the Republican and Democratic Caucuses, as well as the Executive Branch. The EO Subcommittee Staff Director reports to the Full Committee Staff Director. Salary commensurate with experience starting at $110k.
- Assist the Subcommittee and Full Committee Chairs, Staff Director and Deputy Staff Director in addressing all legislative and oversight issues arising within the Subcommittee
- Work with the Subcommittee and Full Committee Chairs, Staff Director and Deputy Staff Director to review and provide advice on policy matters and to help develop and implement strategic and policy goals
- Supervise the Subcommittee staff and coordinate subcommittee activities
- Serve as the primary contact for counterparts in Senate and other House committees/subcommittees, VA, CBO and stakeholders for EO-related issues
- Determine Subcommittee and Committee hearing topics; oversee all aspects of preparing for a hearing, including but not limited to:
- identify and prepare witnesses,
- oversee the Subcommittee’s witness invitations,
- oversee the writing and preparation of opening statements,
- prepare the Chair’s briefing papers,
- ensure appropriate preparation for hearings,
- ensure proper follow-up after conclusions of hearings,
- write all legislative reports – coordinating with committee staff counterparts and chief counsel
- oversee in all aspects of field hearings, including dates, travel schedules, witness preparation, locations, invitations, set-up and close-down
- Review and evaluate laws, programs, and legislative proposals; conceptualize, draft, and pass legislation for the Committee in areas of policy need
- Monitor legislative and oversight needs and developments within other House and Senate committees on EO-related issue areas and coordinate efforts where appropriate
- Oversee the drafting of statements and floor speeches for the Subcommittee and Full Committee Chairs
- Work closely with press team to provide information and generate ideas for press and other outreach efforts to effectively communicate Subcommittee activities and priorities
- Oversee the drafting of constituent/Member response letters and help constituents on federal EO matters as consistent with committee and Chair needs
- Assist the committee in preparing deliverables, including oversight plan, activities report, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the committee leadership
- College degree required
- Experience working with Members of Congress
- Knowledge of the legislative process and experience managing the legislative process in a diverse Caucus
- Experience as a collaborative manager and ability to work cooperatively and courteously with others
- Excellent oral and written communicational skills
- Thoroughness and careful attention to detail
- Availability to work non-traditional hours on occasion
- Working knowledge of VA education and workforce programs, with a special emphasis on GI Bill benefits, the vocational rehabilitation program, and VA home loans
- Experience in establishing and managing relationships with the veterans service organization community and VA is a plus
This job description accurately reflects the job duties of the employee who has been determined to be of an exempt status in compliance with the Fair Labor Standards Act. Veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. The office is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, minorities, and LGBTQ candidates to apply.
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line as “EO Subcommittee Staff Director”