Member of House Democratic Leadership and House Appropriations Committee seeks experienced Communications Director to plan and execute a proactive, aggressive earned, social and direct communications strategy. This position manages a team whose responsibilities include successfully pitching stories and press events to national, statewide and local media outlets, responding to and managing national and local media inquiries, maintaining an active social media profile, overseeing a franked mail program, and writing statements, press releases, op-eds, speeches, talking points, and e-newsletters.
Ideal candidates will:
- be aggressive and politically astute;
- quickly develop a keen understanding of the priorities and views of the Member and district in addition to understanding dynamics within the House Democratic Caucus;
- possess excellent written and oral communication skills, as well as strong editing and proofreading abilities;
- have the vision to develop a long-term communications blueprint that advances the Member’s long-term objectives;
- have prior Hill and campaign communications experience;
- be an energetic, organized, team player that collaborates with others in a tight-knit, fast-paced environment;
- be experienced with building personal relationships with reporters at the local, state, and national level;
- have verbal on-the-record experience and a proven track record of execution and results; and
- have experience managing and coaching others.
This is a senior-level position in a fast-paced office that requires a strong work ethic, total dedication, and close attention to detail. Non-traditional work hours and travel to the District are expected. The Office is an equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining an inclusive and diverse work environment. Diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. To apply, please e-mail resume, cover letter and two writing samples in one combined PDF file to email@example.com with “Communications Director” in the subject line. No phone calls or drop-bys, please.