Congresswoman Grace F. Napolitano is looking to hire and fill a Staff Assistant/Legislative Correspondent position in her Washington, DC office.
Staff Assistant Duties
Some of the duties the SA/LC will perform are below:
- Maintain strong working relationship with the Member, staff and constituents.
- As intern coordinator, train and supervise interns; coordinate with staff to ensure interns receive adequate legislative and administrative assignments.
- Log constituent mail, update constituent call sheets; working with legislative staff, draft constituent mail responses.
- Respond to constituent requests for flags and tours.
- Retrieve voicemail from constituents on daily basis and administer new office greetings when office is closed during holidays.
- Answer and screen telephone calls for the Member and other staff members; train and supervise interns on phone etiquette.
- Greet and screen visitors; maintain professional temperament when communicating with different personalities.
- Manage recycling functions for the office and serves as office safety coordinator.
- Order office supplies and business cards.
- Sign for deliveries and forwards all materials delivered to the office to appropriate staff members in a timely manner.
- Accept performance based comments and direction from supervisors.
- Meet attendance requirements as established by the office.
- Work a flexible schedule including potential long hours, nights and weekends.
- Other duties as assigned.
The SA/LC should possess the following skills:
- Ability to perform all job functions described above.
- Ability to work under pressure and with different personalities.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to use and troubleshoot office equipment and computers.
- Projects professionalism over the phone and in person.
- Minimum typing of 55 words per minute.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize duties.
- Assist in letter writing and Member’s personal correspondence.
- Ability to think on your feet and make quick decisions.
- Ability to express thoughts and in clear and concise manner.
Interested candidates should email a resume, cover letter and a short writing sample to Daniel Chao at Daniel.Chao@mail.house.gov by COB February 14th; no calls or office drop-ins please.