The Office of Congressman G. K. Butterfield (D-NC) seeks an energetic, organized, and creative Communications Director to join the Washington, DC office. The Communications Director will be responsible for leading the press and media operations, and developing and implementing the media, communications, and public relations strategy for the Member. The Communications Director reports directly to the Member and the Chief of Staff, while closely collaborating with other members of the staff.
- Develop and execute creative strategies focused on highlighting the member’s top priorities;
- Cultivate and maintain contact with key reporters in both Washington, DC and North Carolina;
- Book the member on television, radio, and other platforms as well as pitch to national and regional outlets;
- Organize press events, reporter backgrounders, press releases, floor speeches, op-eds, social media and e-newsletter content, and other materials as needed;
- Supervise and work in collaboration with the digital media assistant to utilize digital assets to reach broader audiences;
- Help with other assignments and tasks as requested by the member and the member’s three offices.
- Experience pitching stories, cultivating reporter relations, speaking on the record, and staffing principles for interviews;
- Demonstrated understanding of media relations, the legislative process, and the procedures and organization of the House of Representatives;
- Ability to work well in fast-paced environments and prioritize a varied workload with the flexibility to adapt to the needs of the member, staff, media, and the constituents;
- Strong writing and editing skills with the ability to turn projects around on deadline.
North Carolina ties and Capitol Hill experience are preferred, but not required. Any interested applicant should be a team player. Applicants should submit their resume, cover letter, and 2-3 work samples at this link: https://airtable.com/shrXJ6h70909EhTkL