The Office of Congressman G. K. Butterfield’s mission is to improve the lives of our constituents by being a strong advocate for their needs and providing excellent constituent service.
The Outreach and Constituent Services Representative will help the Office achieve its mission by working with other staff to implement a strategic outreach plan throughout the First District, and assist with the management of the office. This position also acts as a liaison to federal, district, and local agencies for constituent casework. This position is based in Durham, NC or Wilson, NC.
- Attends meetings and events to increase the visibility of the Congressman and his office.
- Helps identify district events that should be added to the Congressman's schedule and makes recommendations to the Director of Community Engagement.
- Maintains a calendar of community events and recommends attendance by district staff.
- Staffs the Congressman while in the district, which may require work on evenings and weekends.
- Screens district media, and interacts with constituents, to identify and disseminate information about important issues impacting the district.
- Maintains a database of local organizations, community leaders, and religious institutions.
- Prepares documents that will be presented at events.
- Prepares briefing materials for the Congressman before district events.
- Documents events including taking notes, photos and recording videos.
- Acts as the representative for the Congressman within his or her area of responsibility including answering casework correspondence, meeting with constituents, verbal communications with constituents, and serving as a liaison with federal, district, and local agencies.
- Handles casework assignments and acts as liaison with constituents to ensure that their cases are handled in a responsive manner.
- Maintains up-to-date files on all cases and categories of information of importance to the office.
- Helps coordinate tours for families of the District and process Flag requests.
- Prepares condolences, certificates, proclamations, letters of recommendation and support, birthday and anniversary acknowledgements, and other special recognitions and greetings on behalf of the Congressman.
- Answers constituent calls throughout the day, answers constituent requests for general information, and records callers’ opinions.
- Helps to coordinate events such as Congressional Arts Competition, Service Academy Nominations and Town Hall events.
- Helps with general administrative support for staff, specifically the Systems Administrator, Scheduler, District Director, and the Congressman.
- Works with staff to procure supplies and equipment, and to maintain and update office equipment inventory
EDUCATION (OR EQUIVILANT EXPERIENCE):
Strong academic credentials; work requires administrative and organizational skills generally acquired through completion of a bachelor's degree program. Alternatively, an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience will be considered.
SKILLS AND KNOWEDGE REQUIRED:
- Have strong North Carolina ties, particularly in Durham and/or the eastern North Carolina.
- Have a strong commitment to public service and willingness to work with a diverse population.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Interest in the legislative process and House organization and procedures.
- Interest in local, state and federal agencies and departments.
- Knowledge of important issues in the district.
- Professional telephone matter.
- Temperament to communicate with a variety of personalities in a tactful, pleasant, and professional manner.
- Be willing to drive long distances throughout a large and mostly rural district.
- Thoroughness and careful attention to detail.
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment in fulfillment of casework responsibilities.
HOW TO APPLY:
Representative Butterfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining an inclusive and diverse work environment. Interested candidates should upload (1) a resume (no longer than 1 page) and (2) a cover letter (no longer than 1 page) at this link: https://airtable.com/shr1pZfMzeX0nFRIz