The Commission on Congressional Mailing Standards (the Franking Commission) seeks a professional staff member. The bipartisan Franking Commission is responsible for reviewing and issuing advisory opinions for all unsolicited mass mailings and other communications sent by Members of Congress. The Commission is also authorized to hear and decide cases concerning abuse of franking privilege. In addition, the Commission issues regulations and provides counsel to the Members of Congress and their staff. In this role, a professional staffer will work with a small team of fellow Democrats to serve as an advocate and advisor for Democratic House Members on the use of their official communications resources. More information is below.
The Commission is committed to, and benefits from, a diverse staff, and candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should send their resume and cover letter to Resume.CHADEM@mail.house.gov and include “Franking Staff” in the subject line.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Offer advice and guidance on the use of official communications resources;
- Review franking advisory opinion requests;
- Assist in research projects;
- Assist in the coordination of training events;
- Draft correspondence to House Member offices
- Assist with New Member Orientation as assigned
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications, Political Science, or related field
- 2+ years’ experience working in government/politics, marketing, or advertising
- Strong proofreading skills and attention to detail
- Customer service focused
- Strong communication and organizational skills