As Republicans leave their weekly conference meeting and gear up for their very first hearing on H.R. 1, we here in the ever-helpful Dem Whip press shop put together a few questions for GOP leaders:
- Will you address the layoffs of thousands of workers over the last six months since the bill was signed into law?
- How will any one-time bonuses, which went to only 2% of workers, offset the rising costs of health care, gas, and food?
- Will you discuss the record $1 trillion in buybacks and dividends that companies are returning to investors instead of increasing wages and hiring workers?
- Will you address the deficit impact, which economists say “paints a picture of a country that has lost control of its finances?”
- Given how deeply unpopular the law is, how do you expect this hearing will improve its standing with the American people?