Congressman Adriano Espaillat (D-NY-13) seeks a motivated, organized, and affable person to serve as Deputy District Director in his Harlem District Office. This position acts as a liaison to federal, state, and city agencies for the Congressman and constituents and answers casework correspondence and verbal communications with constituents. Candidates must be comfortable engaging the public, have excellent oral and written communication skills and keen problem-solving abilities. Prior government work experience and strong academic credentials are preferred. Prior community engagement is a plus. To apply, email a resume and cover letter to Espaillat_Jobs@mail.house.gov with subject line “NY13 Deputy District Director/Casework”.
Essential Job Functions: As a member of our district team, the Harlem
Constituent Liaison & Field Representative:
● manages and conducts constituent casework related to the federal government; and
● serves as a liaison with the community and local stakeholders
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Constituent Liaison Responsibilities
● Identify federal cases and reach out to the appropriate agencies on behalf of constituents
● For non-federal cases, connect constituents to the appropriate local resources
● Learn and stay up-to-date with the most common constituent issue areas
● Build relationships with federal, state, and local agencies and staffers
● Elevate notable cases, case outcomes, and casework trends
Field Representative Duties
● Attend monthly community board meetings and provide remarks on behalf of the office
● Work with the district office team to ensure Congressman Espaillat and office have an equitable presence across all areas of the district
● Build relationships with local stakeholders
● Stay up-to-date on local issues
● Participate in supporting monthly town halls, either in-person, virtually, or via tele-conference
Duties also include, drafting correspondence, staffing meetings with the Congressman, writing responses to constituent letters relating to casework, drafting proclamations, letters of support, and condolences. Function as the liaison for the NYC Health and Hospital campuses in the district and the U.S. Postal Service, as well as inform the Congressman of any healthcare matters.
The Ideal Candidate:
● is collaborative, progressive, and eager to work in a fast-paced environment, in which they are challenged to lean into visionary and intersectional thinking, looking to transform our society and economy
● has a set of lived and professional experiences that equip them to serve the residents of New York’s 13th congressional district and firmly believes that every person has a contribution to make
● is able to work well and is calm under pressure; possesses strong oral and written communication skills; and is available to work longer hours, as needed, in collaboration with multiple departments
People from BIPOC, LGBTQ+, working class, and/or other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply, as well as people with ties to Harlem and NY-13. In-district residency and Spanish language skills are highly preferred. The qualified candidate will have a good sense of humor, strong writing skills, and an ability to produce high-quality work in a fast-paced environment.
Location and Work Environment: The constituent liaison duties take place in our Harlem office. While the field representative duties take place throughout the district.
Compensation: Competitive and includes health insurance, dental, federal student loan payment (terms apply), and paid family leave.
How to Apply: Applications will be accepted on a roll-in basis. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we will only contact you if we decide to move forward with your application. Please no calls, direct emails, or walk-ins.
EDUCATION (OR EQUIVALENT EXPERIENCE):
Prior full-time job experience in government or community relations is strongly preferred.
Bilingual abilities in English/Spanish are preferred but not required.
Our office has been modified to meet COVID-19 facility requirements and constituent meetings are held by appointment only.