Representative Juan Vargas’s office is seeking candidates to fill an open Press Secretary / Communications Director position (title and salary based on experience). Please pass this along to anyone you think might be interested.
Representative Juan Vargas (CA-51), member of the Financial Services Committee and Foreign Affairs Committee, seeks an energetic and well-organized professional for its San Diego and DC Offices. The position will be based in San Diego and will commute to Washington, D.C. as needed. Candidates must have professional fluency in English & Spanish. Must be self-motivated, diligent, and a team player. Candidates should possess strong oral, writing, and proof-reading skills, as well as the ability to develop and maintain relationships with local state, and national media reporters. The ideal candidate will have a passion for practical policies that unite the country and digital organizing / communications in all formats. Other duties include, but are not limited to: developing messaging and talking points; overseeing all communications materials, including press releases, website content, franked mail and social media accounts; working with policy staff on short- and long-term communications goals; and regularly briefing and staffing the member. Salary is between $65-$75K based on experience.
This position will mentor /manage appropriate press interns in both the DC and San Diego Offices. This is not an entry-level position. Ideal candidates should have, or can articulate, experience in the following areas / topics / platforms:
- Strong communications skills (writing, editing, proofreading) with at least two years of political communications experience including producing Op-Ed’s, Press Releases & Other written communications
- Understanding of print, broadcast, & online social media tools / platforms like Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, What’s App, Twitter, BigVu, Streamyard, CanvaPro, Adobe Premier, etc. Strong Skills & experience producing excellent written & visual content, including graphics & video, for a variety of social media platforms.
- An ability to amplify limited media coverage & grow its impact exponentially
- Thorough knowledge of the legislative process, procedures & organization of the House – a plus
- Creating high-quality graphics, editing photos and videos, & supporting management of all Congressman Vargas’s website / digital platforms.
- Knowledge of current issues & events in which the Congresswoman is involved
- Working with policy staff on short / long-term communications goals
- Ability to exercise discretion & judgment in the representation of the Congressman's position on policy issues
- Must have the ability to prioritize duties & manage staff in a fast-paced work environment while meeting rapid timelines
- Excellent understanding of online organizing communications
- Critical & strategic thinking
- Strong technical writing skills
- Ability to translate complex policy issues into simple language, creating talking point summaries
- Leading, managing & optimizing production needs surrounding virtual & in-person town hall meetings, public forums, & press conferences & creating graphics & media presentation when required
- Proactively pitching national/local media,
- Creating, recording & editing video content /messages /livestreaming/moderating town halls
- Creating e-newsletters & managing the franked mailers process for the office
- Tracking press and social media analytics
- Assisting in the development of local & national media strategy
The office is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all identity groups to apply. Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and writing samples to: email@example.com with the “Press Secretary /Communications Director- [NAME]” in the subject line and include two writing samples. Applications due by July 21, 2021.