Congresswoman Kathy Manning is seeking an organized, detail-oriented individual to serve in the position of Constituent Services Liaison (Caseworker) in a fast-paced and highly collaborative District office. The Constituent Services Liaison (Caseworker) monitors and updates the Member and District Director on district and local issues. This position acts as a liaison to federal, district, and local agencies for the Member and constituents and answers casework correspondence and verbal communications with constituents. North Carolina and/or NC-06 ties are preferred, but not required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS REQUIRED:
· Acts as the representative for the Member and/or District Director within their area of responsibility including answering casework correspondence, meeting with constituents, verbal communications with constituents, and serving as a liaison with federal, district, and local agencies;
· Informs the Member and the District Director of all happenings in their assigned issue areas by screening district media sources and interacting with constituents;
· Handles casework assignments;
· Acts as a liaison to local, state and federal officials and other persons or groups to form effective relationships for the Member;
· Assesses casework for problems requiring legislative action and makes recommendations to the Legislative Director, District Director, and Chief of Staff;
· Monitors scheduled district meetings for the Member with constituents;
· Screens and refers cases, when appropriate, to other district offices;
· Trains and assist with supervising Staff Assistants, including interns, to handle office matters such as logging incoming and outgoing correspondence, handling visitors, telephone calls, and computer operations;
· Logs in all incoming and outgoing mail and incoming telephone calls relating to casework;
· Prepares periodic reports for the District Director on pending cases and district activities in their assigned issue areas;
· Continually screens active cases and acts as liaison with constituents to ensure that their cases are handled in a responsive manner;
· Maintains up-to-date files on all cases and categories of information of importance to the office;
· Meets attendance requirements as established by the office;
· Maintains a good working relationship with the Member, staff, and constituents;
· Accepts performance-based criticism and directions;
· Works well under pressure and handles stress;
· Works a flexible schedule including long hours, nights and weekends; and
· Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION (OR EQUIVALENT EXPERIENCE):
At least 2 years of experience; strong academic credentials.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
· Strong oral and written communication skills;
· Thorough knowledge of legislative process and of House organization and procedures;
· Thorough knowledge of local, state and federal agencies and departments;
· Knowledge of all issues and events in the district in which the Member is involved;
· Professional telephone matter;
· Temperament to communicate with a variety of personalities in a tactful, pleasant, and professional manner.
· Ability to perform the essential job functions above;
· Ability to work cooperatively and courteously with others;
· Temperament to communicate with a variety of personalities in a tactful, pleasant, and professional manner;
· Thoroughness and careful attention to detail;
· Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment in fulfillment of casework responsibilities;
· Knowledge of office policies, practices, and procedures;
· Knowledge of office computer applications; and
· Proficiency in word processing.
· This is a full-time and in-person position.
· Field duties require work during regular office hours and some nights and weekends. Additionally, employees must hold a valid driver’s license.
· Employees must be able to work in a moderately noisy work environment without an expectation of privacy.
To apply, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your cover letter, resume, and three references in one combined PDF attachment. Please use the following format for the subject line: Your full name - Constituent Services Liaison.