Job Description – Constituent Services Staff Assistant
The Office of U.S. Representative Pramila Jayapal (WA-07) seeks a Constituent Services Staff Assistant in her Seattle, WA office. The Constituent Staff Assistant runs the front office of the Congresswoman’s District Office and supports the Congresswoman’s constituent services team.
The ideal candidate will have:
· Excellent organizational, proofreading and time management skills necessary to work in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment;
· A professional and courteous manner, particularly in telephone and in-person conversations with constituents;
· Strong writing skills and attention to detail;
· Ability to work cooperatively and courteously under pressure.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Greet and screen visitors, answer and screen telephone calls for the Congresswoman and District Office staff members, taking messages when appropriate;
· Assist with processing of constituent mail and franked mail;
· Respond to constituent requests for information;
· Administrative and clerical duties involved with managing the front office;
· Oversee the District Office internship program;
· Handle casework for state inquiries, housing, and local referrals, and assist with federal casework as needed;
· Monitor active cases to ensure they are handled in a responsive manner and maintain up-to-date files and notes on all cases;
· Participate in select outreach efforts such as mobile office hours and the Congresswoman’s Town Halls (these occur throughout the district and in collaboration with other members of the team and select partners);
· Perform other duties as assigned by casework team and District Director.
Women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, new Americans, people with disabilities, and members of other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply. State and/or district ties are a plus. Bilingual candidates are preferred.
Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 1st with “Constituent Services Staff Assistant” in the subject line. Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis. No calls or drop-ins please.