Rep. Adriano Espaillat (NY-13) seeks an experienced Legislative Assistant or Senior Legislative Assistant to be the primary staff member handling foreign affairs and his work on the House Appropriations Committee Subcommittee on State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs. Additional responsibilities could include trade, energy, environment, judiciary, defense, armed services, homeland security, judiciary, agriculture, and LGBTQ issues.
This position is based in our Washington, DC office and applicants should have previous experience on Capitol Hill, work well in a fast paced and team-oriented environment, be progressive, organized, creative, self-motivated, work well under pressure, and possess strong verbal and written communication, organizational, and time management skills. Spanish fluency is a plus, though not required.
Essential Job Functions:
● Support the Member during the legislative process, including drafting, editing and monitoring legislation, amendments, resolutions, memos and other written work
● Conduct policy and legal research, tracks bills, and identify and monitor specific issues based on portfolio
● Staff the Member at meetings based on portfolio
● Learn and stay up-to-date with ongoing policy matters related to legislative portfolio and issue areas
● Build relationships with federal, state, and local stakeholders
● Work with the district office team to ensure Congressman Espaillat’s legislative priorities are communicated effectively in the district
COMPENSATION: Competitive and includes health insurance, dental, federal student loan payment (terms apply), and paid family leave.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Our office has been modified to meet COVID-19 facility requirements and constituent meetings are held by appointment only.
HOW TO APPLY: Qualified applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples (bill, e-dear colleague, policy memo, etc.) to Espaillat_Jobs@mail.house.gov with subject line “NY13 Legislative Assistant”.
This office is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, disability, military status, age, marital status, or parental status. Women, people of color, and LGBTQ+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we will only contact you if we decide to move forward with your application. Please no calls, direct emails, or walk-ins.
DEADLINE: Applicants should apply by Friday, October 1st for consideration.