Communications Director, Blue Dog Coalition
The Democratic Blue Dog Coalition is seeking an experienced communications professional to
serve as the communications director in the U.S. House of Representatives. This position serves
as a shared staffer who advises the Coalition’s leadership on communications and outreach
efforts to maintain the Coalition’s longstanding brand of dedication to fiscal responsibility, a
strong national defense, and pragmatic governance. This position works together with the
Coalition’s Executive Director and Policy Coordinator, as well as the Coalition’s Co-Chair for
Communications and Outreach and other Co-Chairs and their staff to develop strategic positions
on policy and legislative issues that fall under the Coalition’s policy focus.
This position manages both the long-term strategic communications strategy and day-to-day
press for the Coalition, ranging from drafting statements on news of the day, to responding to
press inquiries and pitching stories, to managing the Coalition’s social media accounts and
website, to setting up press availability opportunities (i.e. press conferences, press calls, or
pen/pads), to developing and executing a long-term communications plan. In addition to
managing the communications of the Coalition, this position also serves as a resource to all
Coalition Member offices to provide any communications counsel they may need. This position
requires someone who is a resourceful team player who can track frequently changing, complex
policy and legislative dynamics, understand the priorities and political calculus of individual
Blue Dog Members, and manage multiple projects simultaneously. This is not an entry level
position. Past communications experience in a House frontline office or for a competitive House
campaign is a strong plus. Previous Capitol Hill experience is a plus.
The Blue Dog Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the bases
of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin,
disability, military status, age, marital status, or parental status. Diverse candidates are
encouraged to apply. No calls or drop-ins, please.
Candidates should submit a cover letter (with salary requirements), resume, at least two writing
samples, all three in a PDF format, as attachments to BlueDogResumes@gmail.com with the
subject line “Communications Director” by Friday, December 31.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- At least three to four years of previous professional communications experience.
- Experience at a college student media organization and/or a bachelor’s degree in
journalism, public relations or another related field is a plus, but not required.
- Strong writing and editing skills as well as attention to detail. This person will be
expected to draft talking points and other messaging materials, press releases,
newsletters, op-eds, letters, and other written material coming from the Coalition.
- Ability to work well under the pressure of tight deadlines while also managing multiple
major projects and approval processes at once.
- Ability to work independently as well as in team environments.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with print, digital and broadcast reporters.
- Existing relationships with members of the Capitol Hill press corps is a plus.
- Digital experience is a plus.
- A strong understanding of narrative and brand management.
- Ability to track news of the day and remain knowledgeable of issues the Coalition’s
leadership may be expected to weigh in on publicly.
- Knowledge of legislative procedures.
- Ability to work amicably with a wide variety of personalities, to exercise discretion, to
learn quickly, and to get the job done without needing to be reminded. This job requires
someone with a diplomatic, cooperative personality.