Rep. Jimmy Panetta seeks a Press Secretary/Digital Director. The ideal candidate is highly motivated, detail-oriented, creative, and enthusiastic, with experience in print and digital media strategy, graphic design, web design, and video and photo editing. The staff member in this position will assist with all aspects of strategic communications including press, social media, and mass communications. This is not an entry-level position.
Additional responsibilities include:
· Managing the Member’s social media platforms and website
· Planning and organizing district-based press conferences, tele-town halls, and roundtables
· Pitching and fielding press inquiries
· Building and managing in-district media relations
· Speech writing with the goal of incorporating intent and voice of Member
· Drafting statements, releases, op-eds, advisories and social media content
· Compiling and reviewing daily and weekend press clips;
· Photographing the Member at various official events
· Responding to media inquiries as needed.
· A working knowledge of California’s central coast and understanding of the regional print, broadcast, and online media landscape
· Excellent writing skills with strong editing, proofreading and organizational skills
· Creativity with strong proficiency in crafting digital content
· Detail-oriented self-starter and team player able to handle multiple tasks at once in a fast-paced environment.
· Flexibility and availability to work long hours and when necessary, weekends.
Capitol Hill experience is preferred, but not required. Ties to California, especially its central coast, are strongly preferred.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, three writing samples of one page or less, samples of digital media and graphic design projects, and three references with “PRESS SECRETARY” in the subject line to email@example.com
The office offers student loan repayment, paid vacation, and sick leave, in addition to other benefits that include health care and retirement.
Rep. Panetta is committed to, and benefits from, a diverse staff, and candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. The office is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, disability, military status, age, marital status, or parental status.