The Office of Congressman G. K. Butterfield (NC-01) seeks a Chief of Staff to lead the Member’s offices. The Chief of Staff is responsible for managing a team dedicated to advancing the Member’s legislative agenda, fulfilling a communications strategy, and administering office operations.
The role of Chief of Staff requires significant Hill, political, and management experience with a strong understanding of legislative procedure and policy. This position requires knowledge of key issues under the jurisdiction of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce and a desire to come up with comprehensive solutions to improve quality of life in low-income communities.
Responsibilities include staffing the Member to issue-related events, representing the Member on their behalf, and other committee-related duties.
Any interested candidate must be an excellent writer, a strong leader, detail-oriented, politically savvy, have demonstrated experience in policy, ability to manage multiple and competing tasks, and have excellent organizational and proofreading skills.
North Carolina ties, Capitol Hill experience, and experience using Intranet Quorum (IQ) are preferred, but not required.
In summary, successful candidates should possess the following:
- Significant Hill, political, and management experience
- Strong understanding of legislative procedure and policy
- Desire to make and grow relationships with other staff and members to fulfill whip responsibilities
- Knowledge of key issues under Energy and Commerce jurisdiction
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, communications and collaborative skills
- Ability to collaborate with Member on creation and implementation of legislative, press, and political strategy
- Proven track record in multi-tasking, managing a productive team and running an effective operation
- Ability to use and leverage technology to maximize operational effectiveness and support tech-savvy member
- Willing to work evenings and weekends, when necessary
- Knowledge of North Carolina and/or rural districts a plus
Any interested applicant should be a team player. No phone calls or drop-ins. We are an equal opportunity employer.
Applicants should submit their application materials at the link below by Thursday, February 20, 2020 at 5:00 PM.