Congressman Andy Levin (MI-09) seeks an experienced, creative and highly motivated Communications Director to lead media and outreach efforts based in his Washington, D.C. office.
An ideal candidate will:
- Work collaboratively with the Congressman and staff as part of his senior leadership team;
- Possess strong written and oral communications skills and the ability to work effectively in a fast-paced setting under tight deadlines;
- Have experience overseeing or executing a digital/social media program;
- Think strategically and creatively;
- Have a strong record of advocating for progressive values;
- Be willing to work irregular hours including some nights and weekends;
- Have relationships with local and national reporters, editors, producers, bookers and social media influencers; and
- Have sound judgement, a positive attitude and sense of humor.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Serving as the primary spokesperson for the Congressman;
- Developing and executing a communications strategy in collaboration with the legislative, outreach, district and operations teams;
- Proactively engaging in media outreach, including pitching local, state and national press, and fielding press inquiries;
- Managing the development of press releases, speeches and op-eds;
- Developing and seeking out content for the digital/social media program;
- Supervising a Deputy Communications Director and a Digital Media intern;
- Preparing and staffing the Congressman for press events and media interviews; and
- Working collaboratively with DC and district staff to ensure a strong local media presence.
This is a senior level position, and a minimum of three years of communications experience as a press secretary or communications director is required. Hill experience preferred. Women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities and members of other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply. Michigan and/or district ties are a plus.
Qualified candidates should include in their application: cover letter, resume, three writing samples (including one set of talking points) and three references.
Please send applications to MI09.Jobs@mail.house.gov with “Communications Director” in the subject line. No calls or drop-ins please.