Chairman Gerald E. Connolly seeks an exceptional, self-motivated candidate to staff Mr. Connolly on all Committee on Oversight and Reform activities. The position is shared between the personal office and the Subcommittee on Government Operations.
The position offers the opportunity to help lead an effective and fast-paced Subcommittee with a broad jurisdiction and significant legislative authority. The Subcommittee has a wide reach and seeks to improve government across the entire enterprise of its operations. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- designing and preparing congressional hearings;
- working with multiple stakeholders to design legislative solutions to address complex national policy concerns;
- writing statements and speeches;
- conducting legal and factual research;
- drafting memoranda;
- ensuring Government Operations priorities are reflected in appropriations and defense authorization bills;
- engaging the Chairman’s constituents and ensuring their needs and priorities are reflected in Committee oversight and legislation;
- and leading oversight initiatives.
The Chairman is particularly interested in candidates with a deep knowledge of and an interest in engaging:
- Federal information technology modernization and improvement;
- Safe agency adaptation of new technologies and IT security practices, including cloud computing;
- Issues of federalism and engaging state, local, and tribal governments;
- Ensuring the federal workforce, including civil servants and contractors, have the resources they need to serve the nation;
- Ways to prevent the Trump Administration from damaging a merit-based civil service and our federal oversight infrastructure of federal inspectors general.
The individual who fills this role will have the opportunity to influence federal IT policy across the government and to help the Chairman find new ways to use oversight to encourage agencies to improve their technology postures and ensure the acquisition of technologies that can improve every operation of our federal government.
The right candidate will serve as a critical leader of a close-knit team and will have the opportunity to work both with the full Committee and with Chairman Connolly’s personal office staff. This person will keep Chairman Connolly fully informed of and staff all Oversight and Reform Committee events and activities and be an integral member of the personal office and subcommittee staff.
Qualifications: Applicants should have (i) an interest in public service and (ii) expertise in some of the areas described above (iii) the ability to work closely with a team and remain entrepreneurial. They also must have superior attention to detail, work well under pressure, be self-motivated, and possess excellent written and oral communication skills. Applicants should be willing to be in the office full time and be able to attend work duties on some evenings and weekends.
The Office is an equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining an inclusive and diverse work environment. Applications: Interested applicants should apply to this position by emailing a cover letter and resume to Government.Operations@mail.house.gov with “Oversight” in the subject line. No phone calls or drop-ins please.