The Office of Representative Robert C. “Bobby” Scott (D-VA-03) seeks a District Office Staffer to assist constituents with federal, state, and local agencies and perform outreach throughout the 3rd congressional district of Virginia. The position will be based in the Congressman’s Newport News, VA district office.
Essential Job Functions:
- Represent the Congressman within their areas of responsibility including answering casework correspondence, meeting with constituents, and serving as a liaison with federal, state, and local agencies;
- Prepares periodic reports for the District Director and Chief of Staff on pending cases and district activities in their assigned issue areas;
- Continually review active cases and act as a liaison with constituents to ensure that their cases are handled in a responsive manner;
- Maintains up-to-date files on all cases and categories for information of importance to the office;
- Assesses casework for problems requiring legislative action and makes recommendations to the Legislative Director;
- Staffing the Congressman and representing the office at events in the district;
- Some evening and weekend work expected;
- Serve as support staff for townhall meetings & roundtable discussions; and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Professional telephone manners;
- Temperament to communicate with a variety of personalities in a tactful, pleasant, and professional manner;
- Ability to work cooperatively and courteously with others;
- Thoroughness and careful attention to detail;
- Ability to exercise discretion and proper judgment, and understand when to seek additional input and guidance from colleagues and/or superiors;
- Knowledge of office policies, practices, and procedures;
- Proficiency in word processing;
- Ability to perform all essential job functions; and
- Knowledge of issues and events in the district in which the Member is involved.
Representative Scott’s office is an equal opportunity employer. The office does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or uniformed service. To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and a 1-page writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until October 30, 2020.